Trafford Rowing Club’s boathouse forms part of Walton Park Sports Centre located adjacent the Bridgewater Canal just off the Washway Road on Raglan Road in Sale.
In summer 2011 Trafford Council transferred ownership of the centre to the four amateur sporting groups who use it i.e. Trafford Rowing Club, Sale Weight Training Club, Trafford School of Gymnastics and Walton Park Indoor Football Club. These organisations have joined forces to manage the facility under the name of Walton Park Sports Centre Limited. The boathouse has plenty of parking adjacent the building and is only a short walk down the canal tow path from Brooklands Metrolink station and The Brook Pub.
The boathouse is home to our fleet of boats consisting of four 8’s, eight 4’s, five doubles, sixteen singles (including privately racked boats) and nine playboats. We also manage to shoehorn the trailer when not out racing at Regattas and Heads.
Adjacent the main entrance doors there are bike and blade storage racks to one side with cox life jackets, first aid kit and day-glo vests (for use by all single scullers and bow seat occupants). At the rear of the boathouse there is an area for land based training with four ergs along with notice board for club events, weekly boat booking sheet, cox box chargers, boat spares and access to the sport centre which provides changing rooms with showers and toilets.
CLICK HERE for our current Boat Care page.
History of Walton Park
The land occupied by the park was formerly an open space until 1939 when the park was laid out. Walton Park Ladies Bowling Club was formed in September 1942 with the support and cooperation of the existing men’s bowling club and both clubs are still in existence today.
A notable incident occurred in August 1943 when a Wellington bomber on a training mission with a crew of five Royal Australian Air Force and one Royal Air Force personnel crashed onto what is now the football pitch. In 1953 gates were erected at the Walton Road entrance to commemorate the Coronation of Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II.
In 1972 the Sale Area Model Engineering Society was given a lease of land in the park by Sale Council to build a miniature railway that was completed in 1977 and is still in operation today. It was also around this time that the Walton Park Sports Centre was opened in the Park on the site of a former grain store that was serviced from the Bridgwater Canal.